Latest Email Marketing Trends: What You Need to Know
Email marketing isn't sexy. But it's one of best converting channels available to you. We cover the massive email marketing trends you need to know.
Email Marketing Trends
Despite the continued rise of social media, email marketing is not dead yet. Far from it. This is not the latest falsehood. Just check out these facts:
- You are 6x more likely to get a click-through from an email campaign than you are from a tweet
- Email is 40 times more effective at acquiring new customers than Facebook or Twitter.
- 4.24% of visitors from email marketing buy something – it is only 2.49% from search engines and 0.59% from social media.
From some of our other posts, you might have picked up that we are all about themes. Email marketing’s theme is its proven Return on Investment (ROI).
Email marketing is that trusty workhouse that continues to deliver year after year. It is not sexy, but it is the best channel to deliver directly to a prospect.
All the latest email marketing trends are not giant leaps in email technology. Instead they are emerging trends in other areas that are being applied to email marketing.
1. Mobile Responsiveness
56% of emails are opened on mobile devices – its highest point yet. Users of smartphones are only increasing. So this trend will only continue.
A contributing factor is that email clients have many more variations than web pages. For example with Microsoft Outlook, you need to account for XP, 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 and O365. That is just for one desktop application with its different versions. Now apply that to the increasing range of mobile platforms.
The Litmus dashboard reinforces this point well.
2. Email Personalisation
We’ve identified personalisation as a critical digital marketing trend. Email is the perfect channel for delivering the right communications at the right time – to match the customer journey.
- 27 percent higher unique click rates;
- 11 percent higher click-to-open rates; and
- more than double the transaction rate compared with other promotional mailings.
- gaining insight quickly enough (40%);
- having enough data (39%); and
- inaccurate data (38%).
Marketing automation is mitigating these challenges. We expect email marketing to improve through:
- Better use of contextual data – to gain a clearer picture of the individual through their demographics, location and activity indicators.
- Improved single customer view – to map their journey at any given time across multiple touch points.
- Enable predictive lead scoring – to better understand the likelihood of conversion to the next stage.
The outcome will be delivering near real-time personalised emails in response to a prospect’s actions across any platform.
3. Interactive Content
We know how massive video is. So as human attention plummets below goldfish levels, interactive content has a role to perform.
It is no surprise that Disney is a great exemplar for interactive content in emails.
(Best experience is in Chrome, Firefox and Opera)
Interactive content has fantastic potential for eCommerce as well. As it is all about convenience, right?
Source: Get Response
Source: Get Response
Interactive content increases conversion and email marketing is no exception. Expect interactive emails to get even better as time progresses.
These are our three latest email marketing trends:
- Mobile Responsiveness
- Email Personalisation
- Interactive Content
They don’t seem ground breaking, because they are not. But email marketing is not sexy. It is a solid performer that consistently works for businesses.